Tadesse Kiros Law Office advises local and foreign clients on issues affecting different areas of law including investment, trade and commercial agreements or transactions. We conduct the study and analysis of the legal framework for investment, assist in drafting and negotiating agreements; assist investors in the establishment and registration of their companies and advise on the best form of business organization they need to pick from among the different types that are available under the Commercial Code both from the point of view of the specific nature of their business as well in light of the different taxes that are applicable to such entities. We advise both new and existing clients on issues ranging from employment law matters to preparation and review of contract agreements to shareholder agreements.
Representative cases and activities:
Tadesse Kiros has successfully represented companies and private individuals in multi-million suits. Among others
- Successfully represented Addis Pharmaceuticals Factory Share Company in a suit involving more than 25 million Birr claim against one of its directors, the largest ever claim at the time.
- Recently, successfully defended one of the leading newspapers in Addis against a defamation damages claim for over 20 million birr, the largest ever claim in the history of the media industry in Ethiopia.
- Currently represents together with the US law firm Koein Tillery some of the families of the victims in the Beirut crash of Et 409 in damages claim against Boeing.
- Served as local counsel for a leading US financial institution carrying out an extensive legal due diligence work. The service we rendered in this regard included completing an extensive jurisdictional questionnaire covering issues of ownership and insolvency; operating and commercial leases; security interest issues; financial assistance; environmental liability ;lender liability; taxes; ability to lend; prepayment restrictions; perfection of securities; compulsory purchase / condemnation /forced sales; servicing questions; security interest in trademarks and enforcement. Under enforcement we have dealt with issues ranging from judicial and non judicial foreclosure to issues of monetary and non monetary default and acceleration to legal and contractual lien and priority of creditors to transfer and enforcement of foreign judgments and conflict of law issues.
- Conducted a comprehensive “Survey on Impediments to International Integration”. Areas covered include: banking services; Insurance services; Telecommunication services; Retail Services; Transport services; Accountancy and Legal Services.
- Served as local counsel to Agence Française de Développement in relation with a Credit Facility Agreement entered into between AFD and the Ethiopian Electric and Power Corporation for the Ashegoda Wind Farm Project. Duties include reviewing the Credit Facility Agreement in light of the Ethiopian Law; Advice on different areas of the law including issues of validity and perfection of agreements; drafting/preparation of various security agreements;
- Worked as local counsel for leasing companies and financial institutions in connection with aircraft and aircraft engine leasing transactions advising on broad issues including tax; validity and perfection of security agreements; loan agreements; conflict of laws and enforcement of foreign judgments;
- Advised and assisted many foreign corporations in relation to the setting up of companies in Ethiopia; advised multinational companies in matters involving the perfection and validity requirements in relation to pledging of shares of a share company.
- We advised Heineken in its acquisition of two state owned breweries by conducting extensive legal and tax due diligence as well as carrying out extensive negotiations, reviewing contracts and generally advising on Ethiopian law matters.